R. McConnell Group PLLC focuses on providing exceptional service to clients using a cost-efficient and client-oriented platform. As law firms have turned into businesses focused on profits per partner, our goal is world-class service with fee structures designed to align our firm with our clients’ needs. Clients love our work because it is bespoke and designed around their business. Most of our work is performed on a flat fee basis for Fortune 500 companies. We have one focus—our clients. Our lawyers are biased to action and obsessive about solving our clients’ problems.
Compliance: Simple. Effective. Sustainable.
Our compliance practice focuses on creating effective compliance solutions. Compliance programs should be simple, risk-based, and sustainable. We help clients build custom programs that are aligned to and seamlessly integrated into their business. Our work typically focuses on general program design and implementation (e.g., developing a risk assessment process) or subject matter-specific work (e.g., anti-corruption due diligence).
Clients regularly ask us to help present their compliance programs to regulators, corporate boards, and other stakeholders. We have addressed virtually every type of compliance challenge from data privacy best practices to trade control risk analysis across a number of different industries ranging from eCommerce to energy.
- Due Diligence
- Risk Assessment and Program Maturity
Our compliance practice draws not only on our experience helping the best companies in the world solve their most important problems, but also on data collected by our firm over the past decade. For instance, our firm created a Fortune 500 Code of Conduct database with over three years of data hosted by the University of Houston Law Center. This database allows users to benchmark compliance policies set forth in Fortune 500 Codes of Conduct across over forty different topic areas. The database may be accessed here: http://www.law.uh.edu/compliance/.
We also collected and created the first database of U.S. Department of Justice deferred and non-prosecution agreements. Our lawyers have taught a well-regarded class on corporate compliance at the University of Houston Law Center that has been featured in the Wall Street Journal and organized the Compliance and Ethics Conference at the University of Houston Law Center from 2012-2014. Most recently, our firm helped create online compliance modules at the University of Texas Law School where executives from Fortune 500 companies discussed compliance program design and execution. This effort may be found here: https://utcle.org/ecourses/OC7158.
Lawyers around the country frequently reach out to our firm to ask about compliance best practices and emerging trends. Our firm has published over a hundred articles on compliance best practices in Corporate Counsel magazine that have been widely cited and circulated as authority on various compliance issues.
White Collar Criminal Defense and Internal Investigations: Efficient. Practical. Experienced.
In addition to the firm’s highly sought-after compliance practice, our firm assists clients with regulator inquiries and smaller internal investigations. The firm uses its experience dealing with regulators and deep knowledge of compliance systems to efficiently conduct investigations and provide practical advice on potential compliance enhancements.
- International internal investigations into corruption-related activities.
- Theft of trade secret investigation for investment firm.
- Investigation into safety practices at worldwide refining company.
- Investigation into regulated shipments under U.S. trade control laws.
- Investigation into internal customs classification and billing processes.
- Defense of waste disposal company for federal immigration crimes.
- Defense of container company and owners for federal immigration crimes resulting in non-prosecution agreement for company and no charges against owners.
- Defense of manager at manufacturing company under investigation for violating federal immigration law with no felony charges filed.
- Defense of executive at oil field services manufacturing company under investigation for fraud with no charges filed.
- Defense of individuals and company in economic sanctions and money laundering investigation including managing public relations issues with no charges filed.
- Representation of target in U.S. Department of Justice criminal fraud investigation resulting in non-prosecution agreement.
- Numerous investigations into internal theft at both public and private companies in oil and gas, telecommunications, and service industries.